FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $50
GO(URD) CRAZY! DIY PUMPKIN FACE MASK
FALL(ING) IN LOVE WITH PUMPKIN
It's true. Summer is over and fall has officially arrived (shout out to the week of rain we're having here on Vashon!), which can mean but one thing: All Pumpkin Everything! Pumpkin in our lattes, in our salads, in our pies, on our porches, and - yes - on our faces.
It's no wonder the country goes mad this time of year for this easy-to-spice gourd: Pumpkin is full of skin-boosting benefits, whether you eat or apply it topically (both, please!).
PUMPKIN'S KIND OF A BIG PEEL
- Pumpkin contains fruit enzymes and alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) that exfoliate the skin without physical abrasion for an at-home facial peel that is more gentle than the heavier duty glycolic acid peel option. Pumpkin is an excellent alternative especially for those with sensitive skin and acne.
- Pumpkin fruit enzymes and AHAs eat away the dead skin cells and the top layer of skin to increase cell turnover, brighten and smooth the skin, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Pumpkin contains powerful antioxidants in the form of Vitamins A and C, which stimulate circulation, promote healing, soften and soothe, and boost collagen production.
- Pumpkin has great skin penetrability due to its small molecular structure, making it an effective treatment for dullness, signs of aging, and pigmentation.
Whew! All that learning made me hungry. For a snack, let's do some home-roasted pumpkin seeds! These bad boys girls are high in zinc, which benefits acne suffering by balancing hormone levels and oil production, and Vitamin E, which regulates sebum (skin oil) and helps the skin to maintain its barrier function. Skin healing inside and out - thanks, pumpkin!
DIY MASK RECIPE
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin puree (I'm being lazy and using Trader Joe's Organic Canned Pumpkin Puree, but it would be better to siphon off a tablespoon while you're making that pumpkin pie from scratch.)
- 1/2 tsp. raw honey (smooth with no crystals. Gently warm if needed.)
- 1/4 tsp. milk (whole for better moisturization, soy/almond for those with milk allergies, or whatever version you have for convenience)
- 1 whole egg (optional)
- Begin with clean skin by washing with your regular gentle cleanser and patting dry with a clean towel.
- Mix pumpkin puree, honey, milk, and egg (if using) in a small bowl. Feel free to modify the ingredient volumes to achieve your desired texture (viscosity of honey and pumpkin puree can necessitate this).
- Apply with fingers or a clean makeup brush to face and neck, avoiding sensitive skin around eyes. You may need to increase or decrease the ingredients quantities depending on the surface area you'd like to cover.
- Take a deep breath and chill out for 10-15 minutes while the mask does its work. It may feel a bit tingly.
- Wash off with warm water and apply your favorite moisturizer.
- STAY OUT OF THE SUN for the rest of the day, as this mini peel can make your skin extra sensitive and vulnerable to damaging rays.
- Show of that glowing mug of yours, rain or shine!
NOTES: Although this is all natural, it is a chemical peel! Mild tingling may occur, but wash off immediately should any burning, itching, or discomfort occur. Do not leave on for longer than 15 minutes.